Suggestion to players on reducing Lagg.

Any suggestions to make A3 Mania a better place is welcome.
mchaudh
Dark Saint
Dark Saint

Suggestion to players on reducing Lagg.

Post by mchaudh »

A lot of people complain of lagg, and it can seriously affect gameplay and decides wheather we want to continue to play or jump on something else. I had a few tips which have had helped me with game lagg and wanted to share.
First of all try these simple tricks to fix lagg, before jumping on server and calling it laggy.

- Speedtest.net is a good website to check/verify your internet speed, and it also has some benchmarks of your ISP(internet service provider), use these benchmarks along with your own results to ascertain your internet speed. Try to get avg of couple of results instead of doing it just once.

- Lets say you are getting a slow speed on speedtest.net, try restarting your internet hardware (modem, router or both etc). Usually a unpluging of power cord for 30 sec and plugging it back in, does the job of resetting. Restart your PC also while you at it, sometimes to free cache memory.

- Once all that is done in above step, try jumping on speedtest.net (or one thats for Indian ISPs) to re-evaluate your speed. If its not getting any better, then your ISP is the one thats causing problem, call em up.

- If you get speed close to what your connection has to offer, then jump on command promt and type "ping acp.a3mania.com -t" check your avg ping, wait for atleast 10 replies, to ensure there are no timeouts. If you are still lagging, then its not due to your connection but server lagging. Only then you can blame server for lagg.

I have lagged in past, on a 10Mbps connection, but everytime I was able to correct it on my end, and get back to my original speed and ping on server. Every once in a while it was server that was causing lagg but it wasnt so major that I couldnt play.
Tryout those pointers and hope they help :)
IGN: Eros [Archer], Magrita [Mage]
KH: ferocious
Eros is the son of Aphrodite and the god of love - usally highly erotic love.
Numenor
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Suggestion to players on reducing Lagg.

Post by Numenor »

mchaudh wrote: Every once in a while it was server that was causing lagg
It is Impossible for the server to lag. Even if we run 5 A3 servers from it with 5000 players. The server hardware is well enough to handle. The bandwidth is too high and there are no bottle necks. So rule out servers lags.

All the time it has to be the ISP, PC or the net connection. So always try to look at these 3 aspects only. :)
DONT PISS ME OFF. I get very mean and rude.
GhostWalker
Ranias
Ranias

Post by GhostWalker »

lol server lagg are u kidding me!!!!! =)) =)) This new server from what i know has really good hardware and its a 64 bit server too.

It is always ISP problem in mania. Till date i have never experienced any lagg here. Truly powerful server I must say.
IGN:Ghostwalker/Postmodem & Quadamage/Annihilation
IGC: Archer & Warrior
IGL:Rb 12/12 LvL 165, Rb 11/12 LvL 165
IGKH:Spartans
rohitsinghania
Kelledeegs
Kelledeegs

Post by rohitsinghania »

mchaudh wrote:A lot of people complain of lagg, and it can seriously affect gameplay and decides wheather we want to continue to play or jump on something else. I had a few tips which have had helped me with game lagg and wanted to share.
First of all try these simple tricks to fix lagg, before jumping on server and calling it laggy.

- Speedtest.net is a good website to check/verify your internet speed, and it also has some benchmarks of your ISP(internet service provider), use these benchmarks along with your own results to ascertain your internet speed. Try to get avg of couple of results instead of doing it just once.

- Lets say you are getting a slow speed on speedtest.net, try restarting your internet hardware (modem, router or both etc). Usually a unpluging of power cord for 30 sec and plugging it back in, does the job of resetting. Restart your PC also while you at it, sometimes to free cache memory.

- Once all that is done in above step, try jumping on speedtest.net (or one thats for Indian ISPs) to re-evaluate your speed. If its not getting any better, then your ISP is the one thats causing problem, call em up.

- If you get speed close to what your connection has to offer, then jump on command promt and type "ping acp.a3mania.com -t" check your avg ping, wait for atleast 10 replies, to ensure there are no timeouts. If you are still lagging, then its not due to your connection but server lagging. Only then you can blame server for lagg.

I have lagged in past, on a 10Mbps connection, but everytime I was able to correct it on my end, and get back to my original speed and ping on server. Every once in a while it was server that was causing lagg but it wasnt so major that I couldnt play.
Tryout those pointers and hope they help :)

i dont lagg .... wid 75 kbps tooo... XD
IGN: Burningwater
IGT: Quanato
IGG: hogwarts

not active in game any more :)
skunka3
Hell Karterian
Hell Karterian

Post by skunka3 »

noobs if u dnt lagg then enjoy :twisted: ....its for ppl who laggs :( ...........NICE WORK by Eros..... \m/
sahil
Cullijpayhern
Cullijpayhern

Post by sahil »

acha tell me 1 thing
i am having 128 kbps connection and i get 100kbps almost....
sometimes i get a pingof 200ms and sometimes 350 ms and smtimes even 900-1k pings

now tell me what should i do?
why my pings vary?
IGN: Sahil
A3 Mania
[GM]Scar
A3 Game Developer
A3 Game Developer

Post by [GM]Scar »

Just restart your net connection. It will come back to normal
Regards,
[GM]Scar
A3 Mania Server Dev.
[GM]Scar
A3 Game Developer
A3 Game Developer

Post by [GM]Scar »

mchaudh wrote:Every once in a while it was server that was causing lagg
If you have to say that the Server is laaging, then it might be due to the Server Hardware or Internet Connection.

If the Server Hardware is having a problem, then the entire server will get stuck. Even if you are killing a Boss, the boss will also not hit you. Its like an entire server paused. Fortunately we have nothing of that sort in our servers.

Network lag causes higher pings and disconnections (Game Freezing. If you get a Disconnected with Server Message, than it means that someone on the Server side has force disconnected players). This also affects each and every players in the server.

We are using Fujitsu Siemens hardware, which are one of the most reliable servers on the Planet. T2 LAN 100mbps Network and Fixed IP address is provided by intergenia AG. Since we are having reliable Host and Network, the Server lag is out of question. They are well known companies and they don't provide a choppy dial-up like internet.
Regards,
[GM]Scar
A3 Mania Server Dev.
Nova
Demeratone
Demeratone

Post by Nova »

i have noticed 1 thing with lag..
the thing is
i have 2.66 Ghz single processor with 1.2 gb ram
but for the 1st 3 weeks of mania (1 month approx)
when i had my pc just formatted b4 i started
i had 0 lag
but as 1 month has passed lag is back
and im sure reformat will solve the lag
because i had same problem with 1 more a3 server also
so hope it helps
Pweeej Click on my Eggs pretty plz :D
Conquer is a pityable word...Dominate with no Mercy
BurN WitH HatreD
IGN-Frostnova
IGG-Insane
mchaudh
Dark Saint
Dark Saint

Post by mchaudh »

[GM]Scar wrote:["mchaudh"]Every once in a while it was server that was causing lagg
Scar, actually, it has happened on MANY occassions, and LOT of players can vouch on this. All of sudden we get dced, we log back in and ask players, did everyone disconnect? on shouts and in alliance, and they are all like, yes we all got dced, my whole party dced etc etc...so based on that I threw in that one sentence that every "once" in a while, something does happen, which causes 90% of clients, on different maps, doing different things, to disconnect all of sudden, whatever it may be, I called it lagg, could be a out of synch or packet loss etc etc..I dont know I'm not a tech geek but I have sound network knowledge to know, that when 90% of your clients get booted out, simultaneously its not you, its something to do with server. :p
[GM]Scar
A3 Game Developer
A3 Game Developer

Post by [GM]Scar »

mchaudh wrote:Scar, actually, it has happened on MANY occassions, and LOT of players can vouch on this. All of sudden we get dced, we log back in and ask players, did everyone disconnect? on shouts and in alliance, and they are all like, yes we all got dced, my whole party dced etc etc...so based on that I threw in that one sentence that every "once" in a while, something does happen, which causes 90% of clients, on different maps, doing different things, to disconnect all of sudden, whatever it may be, I called it lagg, could be a out of synch or packet loss etc etc..I dont know I'm not a tech geek but I have sound network knowledge to know, that when 90% of your clients get booted out, simultaneously its not you, its something to do with server. :p
If you get DCed by getting a Message "Disconnected with Server", then Its not something related to the Server Network. It is because when I try to access the server, i might get stuck up, due to which the Network Adapter gets refreshed kicking all the players. Infact it means that the Connection has been terminated either by the Client or the Server. If there is a network failure, you will get stuck at that instant. So there is no relation with this dcing and laag.
Regards,
[GM]Scar
A3 Mania Server Dev.
mchaudh
Dark Saint
Dark Saint

Post by mchaudh »

No the kind of disconnect I am talking about, just bring you right to the desktop, or you are jsut stuck for a long time, if you are in town, you can wait for connection to come back, or disconnect if you are hunting on a map. Sometimes I stayed connected and after 20seconds or so, my whole alliance disconnected I think, but I was still on, cuz I choose not to forcefully exit. Thats the kind of lagg I was talking about,which isnt client lagg, when all players simultaneously disconnect or freeze on map ...ask other players, they know what I am talking about :)

PS: I know when there is a msg saying, "Disconnected from server", thats NOT lagg, its either someone logging into your account, or something else, like u mentioned.
mumbaiya
Olgoc
Olgoc

Post by mumbaiya »

I have never faced such a "20 Seconds" freeze ti today in mania......
as far as i remember i must have lagged and freezed for abt 5 secnds lond time back in novmber 08 or something when the server was in USA.......
German server rox :)
IGN : mumbaiya
IGC: MAGE
forgetits
Razbojnik
Razbojnik

Post by forgetits »

mchaudh wrote:No the kind of disconnect I am talking about, just bring you right to the desktop, or you are jsut stuck for a long time, if you are in town, you can wait for connection to come back, or disconnect if you are hunting on a map. Sometimes I stayed connected and after 20seconds or so, my whole alliance disconnected I think, but I was still on, cuz I choose not to forcefully exit. Thats the kind of lagg I was talking about,which isnt client lagg, when all players simultaneously disconnect or freeze on map ...ask other players, they know what I am talking about :)

PS: I know when there is a msg saying, "Disconnected from server", thats NOT lagg, its either someone logging into your account, or something else, like u mentioned.
Hi Every1,

Eros,Scar is right server never laggs I will tell u the reason since German server have dedicated 100Mbps connection so its not just possible.
I have created and tested (acp.a3mania.com) file I have created PING and TRACERT file which helps u get the correct issue.

PING - Will get the connection reply
TRACERT - Get the connectivity thr different LOC (since we dont have direct connection to a3mania) Usually get u the details of ISP no. of server named in it.

If any1 need it I can upload it here.
I have noticed that whn we face lagg issue there is some network drops but server is available u b will to connect to server.
ING : Kingoferabus
INT : Temoz
INKH : ArabKnights ™
Out of GAME but partially active in FORUM
jaxdude88
Cynick
Cynick

Post by jaxdude88 »

Dr Eros wassup and i agree wid u even i lagg sometimes when i play from home